I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 7 August 2015

Use Your Wings





Hello everyone!

It's time for a new challenge at A Vintage Journey, and I'm so glad to be back on board after a slight rest stop.

Our host this month is the lovely Anne (a.k.a. Redanne), and she's looking for Things With Wings.  If you hop over to A Vintage Journey you'll find lots of inspiration from my fabulous team mates, and here's my offering for you.

From the moment I saw this Silhouette Bird die I fell in love with it, but I managed to resist for a while before finally giving in.

Things With Wings gave me the perfect excuse to play with him for the first time.
















I glued some leftover strips of text paper onto one of the burlap canvases and gave the whole thing a rough coat of gesso.














Then I used one of my favourite layering stencils to add texture paste and - once that was dry - some inky colour (Walnut Stain and Gathered Twigs if memory serves).












I used a pastel pencil and some Hickory Smoke Distress Stain to add shading and depth around the paper strips and word stickers.














Time for the bird. I cut him from a piece of Tim's paper stash (I think it's from Wallflower, but I'm not sure), and then realised that I needed him to be a bit more durable.

I should have stuck him on some card first.  No matter... I cut the card, lined the two die-cuts up very carefully, and glued them together.










I gave him a very light wash of gesso too, sanded the edges and inked them with Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain.











My main aim was to get the bird perched on a real piece of wood.  This is a piece of driftwood, so not really a branch, but I still like the effect.













An old ink blending pad turned out to be just the right depth to get the bird to sit up enough to rest his feet on the branch.

As always, I let some of the decoration fall over the edges of the canvas.












The words leapt out at me from the Small Talk stickers... once stuck down, I used a pastel pencil to shade around them.










It took me forever to decide what other embellishment it needed beyond the flowers and words.  I played with all sorts of combinations, as well as extra tissue tape and all sorts.














But in the end I took it all off again, and kept the whole thing very simple with just this alcohol ink and gesso-altered Idea-ology bird, flying in the distance.








I hope you like him, and I hope you'll head over to A Vintage Journey to see some more Things With Wings to inspire you to travel with us this month.  See you there!

I believe that if one always looked at the skies, one would end up with wings.
Gustave Flaubert

Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?
Frida Kahlo

And what a happy coincidence... I'd like to add this to the Things With Wings challenge at Frilly and Funkie.  I suspect I won't be the only one doing the double!

46 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful panel Alison and I do love your bird! The almost monochromatic colour combo works beautifully and I think you were spot on keeping embellishmrnts to a minimum.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Julia Aston said...

We both reached for the framed burlap for our Wings project Alison - but used wildly different colors - I love the soft look of the white and tan on this - with that wonderful big bird (I finally succumbed to purchase as well!) Great splatter and lovely technique for your background! Julia xx

Marci said...

This so lovely!

Chrissy said...

Fabulous canvas Alison..love the burlap canvas [just found some of them]..and that wonderful bird die..he is gorgeous sitting up there on his branch...

luv CHRISSYxx

Astrid Maclean said...

Great canvas Alison! Love how you did the background and the little branch is just the perfect addition for that lovely bird die!

Redanne said...

Well, that is three of us who have recently succumbed to purchase the bird! He really is fabulous and I love how you made him stand on the lovely piece of driftwood, it gives your canvas so much dimension. The stencilling in the background is beautiful too. I love this wonderful piece Alison! Hugs, Anne xx

Helen said...

Love the bird.. and how you've used him!

chrissie said...

Wonderful setting for the beautiful little bird Alison. Beautiful quotes today as well

Love Chrissie xx

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous mixed media layers Alison which are beautiful over the burlap. Your gorgeous bird is perfect over the top ad looks right at home.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Anneke said...

Wonderful design. Everything is in the right place.
It looks really vintage. Thanks for your explanation .
Very inspiring, you are good in showing how you made
It by your step by step. It must be allot of work for you.
Thanks again Anneke

Gitte said...

Beautiful.

SueC said...

Fantastic panel Alison, love your background and the bird sits beautifully on top. Sue C x

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Wonderful Alison, I have the punch of that die and love that too! Beautifully created as always, very delicate looking
Have a fab weekend
Big hugs
Donna xxx

Mary Elizabeth said...

So very beautiful. I love this background with the perpendicular strips and then the organic flowers stamped on top. You need play around with this idea some more. I could see some amazing canvases coming out of this technique. Love the stick that your little bird is sitting on. Great inspiration ! Hugs -- Mary Elizabeth

Candy C said...

Beautiful, Alison. You are a master at turning plain burlap canvases into amazing art! Your bird is adorable and this is a great piece for the Things With Wings theme.

Pamellia said...

AMAZING Alison!! LOVE that burlap background, and what a wonderful idea to build some lattice for your Wildflower stencilling! This has such a great earthy feel to it! Stunning! hugs :)

Lisa Minckler said...

I love the directness and simplicity of it; even though the process was anything but simplistic; it's a gorgeous piece of inspiration that speaks truth. I love the driftwood!
hugs and happy weekend Alison :)

Terry said...

Alison, the hanging burlap panel is wonderful! I love the neutral colors and textured background. The bird is gorgeous! Happy Weekend! Hugs!

Dorthe said...

Alison I love him very much, your beautiful bird on a branch. Beautiful background with the "dried" flowers on stems, on the white ,and love the words, telling us all to try a little new sometimes :-)
Hugs, Dorthe

Deborah said...

So glad you finally gave in, Alison. The bird makes the perfect topper for your rustic canvas.

Jennie Atkinson said...

This is such a gorgeous canvas Alison. The background is fabulous and your beautiful bird complements it perfectly. Jennie x

rachel said...

wonderful inspiration Alison - great use of layers and colours - and those birds look awesome! Brilliant xx

Juliz Design Post said...

So so beautiful Alison, love your accent of driftwood and what a great idea using old inking pads.
Have a great weekend, Julie x

Meggymay said...

A beautiful canvas Alison, love the die cut bird and of course the super design and colour combination.
Yvonne xx

Unknown said...

What a perfect "heat of the summer" creation Alison. This is really lovely - the neutral colors, the burlap, the driftwood, the sparseness of the flowers.... it all just comes together and makes a really intriguing canvas. Great inspiration. Happy Weekend! j.

sarascloset said...

Alison, I have to say this just stole my heart! I love the natural color palette and the simple embellishments. Great way to use those leftover strips and genius use of an old foam blending pad and driftwood. Extra hugs for using those cast offs to make this beautiful creation! LOVE!!!

Mrs.B said...

A beautiful canvas Alison, love the bird sitting on his perch against that gorgeous background.
Avril xx

Nikki Acton said...

When I see your work I sometimes realise I make dodgy purchase decisions! Guess who hasn't got that stencil or die! Love this Alison. Hope your busy life is good and you are finding a bit of time for yourself, Nikki xxx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Fabulous! I LOVE it...the bird, the embossing, the neutrals...great design too!

A Pink said...

Such a fabulous creation! Alison Love the dimension you really have set the scene so wonderfully for your beautiful bird . Love the dimension you have given him with the driftwood and inking pad . A real 'touch of nature canvas . x

froebelsternchen said...

Wow-- your art is so wonderful Alison-- I am in love with this and the piece below... gorgeous!!!
Happy Sunday!
oxo
Susi

Deb said...

Beautiful Alison, love your paper strip and stenciled background and your sweet bird looks wonderful standing on the driftwood branch. Perfect words to accompany your lovely design, thank you for sharing it with us.

craftytrog said...

I love the natural elements of the driftwood and burlap Alison, a beautiful piece of art! xx

Kirsten said...

Beautiful!

Julia said...

I love those burlap canvases and this one is such a beautiful piece. That stencil is rather special, lovely work.
Julia x

experiments in paper said...

LOVE your bird on the driftwood!! Your take on browns is always so fantastic..... not one of my go-to colors until I see your pieces, lol! xx Lynn

Unknown said...

Fabulous, Alison!! This isn't a piece that needs any extra embellies--your colors and layers of paper strips and stenciling are wonderful all on their own! Love how you've perched at darling songbird on the piece of driftwood :) Just a natural beauty for Anne's Things With Wings challenge :) :) XOXO-Shari

Cec said...

Fabulous panel and so earthy with the burlap and all the other neutrals you added to make that wonderful bird sit proudly as your focal point. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec

Jackie PN said...

Just beautiful Alison1 I love the script on the bird- it gives it that much more character! xo

Corrie Herriman said...

A beautiful little canvas Alison !
Corrie x

Evelyn Walter said...

You are right, dear Alison - this bird IS lovely :o)! You made a really beautiful little canvas! Love the stencil work in the background.
Have a nice week!
xxx Evelyn

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful background!! I love the silhouette bird die too, of course.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Stunning as ever! Good decision to get the bird die! Chrisx

Jenny Marples said...

Love the whole dimension on this one Alison. Hmm, maybe I do need that bird die! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Etsuko said...

Lovely bird and the canvas awesome, simple but I feel how much you love nature . xx

Suzanne C said...

Rustic and gorgeous bird canvas!